- Contact me Contact Form
Professional Status Employed
Technology Journalist, Social Networker and Bass PlayerI am a professional bass player, technology journalist and am responsible for the online presence/marketing of my band - SUBSET.
My main band, SUBSET, formed in early 2009 with only friends and family being aware of us. By the end of 2010 we had 900 subscribers to our mailing list, 600 fans on our Facebook Page and the same on our Group Page. We successfully raised €4,000 in 4 months through a band share scheme called SellaBand. In January 2011 SUBSET signed a publishing and distribution deal with an American Indie label.
My gadget and technology blog receives an average of 1,500 readers every day through social networking. I am now contacted directly by major technology manufacturers, retailers and press agencies to review products.
I have played in a variety of original and covers bands and have shared the bill with artists such as Grace Jones, Transglobal Underground and Sven Vath. Most gigs and sessions I get are rock or metal biased which is great as I love that stuff - but I can also groove and funk.
My writing style is generally an easy-to-read and friendly type. I imagine that I am speaking to my readers gathered around a table in a bar chatting candidly about technology, science and gadgets. I try to avoid using jargon and confusing abbreviations but when that can't be avoided there'll be a clickable link to send the reader to some information.
Subset(Since January 2009)
- SUBSET formed in 2009 and by the end of 2010 we were approached by an American Indie label - New Years 2011 we signed a distribution and publishing deal.
- "Subset staggered on to the scene in early 2009 after being drawn together by a shared distaste of what they were seeing at local gigs - unnecessarily inflated ego's hiding behind big rigs and effects.
- Low-fi, fuzzpop, grungy and realist post-punk are among the many adjectives and sub-genres which have been used to describe Subset - come to a show and decided for yourself."
- http://SubsetBand.com | http://myspace.com/subsetlondon | http://facebook.com/subsetband | http://reverbnation.com/subsetrock
NEWSLITE.TV(Since August 2008)
- Newslite is light-hearted news site that promises "..to bring you the best weird and odd news stories". Simon Crisp, the Editor invited me onto the team as Technology Journalist.
- In this role I provide a regular round-up of what's happening in the world of gadgets, gizmos and technology.
GADGETYNEWS.COM(Since January 2008)
- Originally started on a 6 month trial blog hosting and now receives over 1,500 views per day.
- Low Jargon, Hi Tech - Reviews and news of gadgets and technology with a UK bias and a welcoming "friend in a bar" tone of writing.
- I promote the site through Twitter, Facebook and Word Press SEO plug-ins and tags.
AAT(Since February 2008)
- I am responsible for the registration, renewal and re-registration of student members of the AAT and liaise with accredited learning centres and employers regarding student fee payments and using the Online Centre Services. I assist students regarding their registration and I am a primary point of contact should their applications be referred to our Conduct and Compliance team. I have a close working relationship with a number of the AAT's teams due to the nature of my role. I am also a member of the 'Ambassadors of Fun' who organise many of the company's social events.
CHELSEA & WESTMINSTER HOSPITAL(August 2007 - February 2008)
- This was a temporary position where I was secretary to four Ophthalmological Consultants. In addition to general secretarial duties, which involved the efficient and accurate typing-up of recorded medical reports and the undertaking of associated administration, I was chosen to organise the implementation of a new procedure for recording and transcribing patient results. I was promoted to be the Senior Consultant's personal secretary and was offered a permanent position at the end of my fixed-term contract, at which point I had accepted the role at AAT.
CAFE/BAR(July 2006 - June 2007)
- I joined FOPP as a Café/Bar team member and as my probationary period was coming to an end the Store Manager offered me the role of Manager of this area which also encompassed the Café/ Bar's music venue, FOPP's national premium performance venue. Main duties were ensuring compliance with health and safety and food hygiene standards, cashing up at the end of shifts, organising team rotas and maintaining the venue's ambiance, food and drink stock and security of the store. I was also responsible for the organisation and smooth running of the extremely popular and often full to capacity regular in-store musical performances by renowned artists such as The Magic Numbers, Billy Bragg and John Cale, and movie screenings which included question and answer sessions by celebrated directors such as Guillermo Del Toro.