Accomplished strategy, finance and business development executive who creates value across Fortune 100 companies, start-ups and nonprofits. Adept at identifying marketplace gaps and turning opportunity into scalable businesses. Visionary leader successful in identifying, recruiting and retaining talent through collaboration and alignment across teams and organizations. Stellar performance record directing corporate and international activities; emphasis on digital strategy, M&A, marketing/product launches, business line start-ups, operations, and decision support for corporate planning. Experienced financial executive charged with financial planning, modeing, and corporate valuation. Exceeds expectations through critical thinking, focused energy, and resourcefulness. Exceptional ability to build sustainable ecosystems of talent, partners, sponsors and donors to create socially conscious organizations. Wharton undergraduate, NYU MBA.
YellowBird Financial, Inc.
to February 2016
- Responsible for guiding the development of the business model and financial plan for the company along with creation of ecosystem of partners.. Provided guidance to the founder on the strategic vision; assisted with development of presentations for investors and strategic partners; Facilitated introductions to partners/potential investors; and built the education advisory board for the company. Also responsible for recruiting additional executive leadership members and board members to the organization to bolster its credibility and aid in fundraising efforts.
Saisei Consulting, Inc.
to April 2011
- Provided corporate, fundraising and business development strategy for early-stage, growth-stage and mature digital media companies seeking to expand market presence, revenue and profit. Helped build and shape presentations, identified and cultivated business development and strategic partnership opportunities, identified potential investors and established global go-to-market strategies. Partnered with a colleague to lead a management buyout of a globally recognized video game publisher.
Authored nationally recognized blog on K-12 public education (ReinventED Solutions).
Moderated panels at conferences and delivered presentations on gamification and sustainable innovation ecosystems.
Presented at national TED 2009, titled “A Vision for 21st Century Learning” which received more than 60,000 views on YouTube.
Atlanta Music Project, Inc.
to April 2012
- Conceived and helped build the first after school music program for at-risk youth in Georgia based on globally heralded “El Sistema” pedagogical model for using music as an instrument for social change. Established governance structure, formed inaugural board of directors, and supervised work of executive director. Developed organization’s first strategic plan. Reviewed grants and arranged meetings with donors and foundations. Built strategic partnerships. Reviewed and approved budgets.
Grew program to more than 100 students across two locations.
Helped raise more than $500K in under two years from wide variety of donor categories.
Secured significant local and national media exposure across multiple platforms in promoting the organization.
Gained support of city leadership, including office of the Mayor and other senior officials.
to December 2013
- Provided vision and strategy for bringing the TED experience to Atlanta at a time when the city had suffered from recession and was in need of inspiration and renewal. Built an all-volunteer organization from scratch, establishing governance, leadership team, curating program and identifying and selling sponsorships. Planned and managed all event logistics and operations. Established and managed all financial activities.
The event became the premier TEDx event in Georgia, and one of highest quality TEDx events in the world.
Quadrupled attendance, from 100 to 400, from 2009-2012.
Achieved attendee satisfaction levels consistently over 90 percent.
Resulted in three talks being featured on TED.com; only 1% of the 25,000+ TEDx Talks have been featured on TED.com.
Gained Level Two license status by TED, awarded to only 1% of TED events as recognition of strong brand stewardship.
to January 2009
- Developer of a game-based learning product for middle school and high school students using virtual world and MMORPG mechanics.
to April 2008
- Led team of six in overseeing business planning, licensing and partnerships. Assessed multimillion and multibillion-dollar strategic opportunities. Collaborated with senior finance teams and external partners on joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions. Supported new product group. Led cross-divisional team on organizational, business and operational practices. Created and delivered presentations to TBS executive committee on high profile strategic initiatives, including Turner’s digital “strategic roadmap.” Provided vision and leadership for department, including recruiting, mentoring and professional development.
Built business plan for and launched Gametap, the world’s first broadband entertainment network through licensing content worth ~$30M representing 1,300+ video games across 35+ third party game publishers.
Led development of strategies to grow Turner’s share of the multibillion-dollar kids, general entertainment, news and sports markets.
Drove organizational realignment to improve operational efficiency and enable greater cross-divisional collaboration to capture incremental value across major industry verticals, including general entertainment and others.
Identified market trends, their impact on organization, and provided data to inform investment decisions.
Turned around departmental graphics function and improved workflow processes.
Integrated team of NYC-based strategic marketers into the department with high retention/job satisfaction rate.
Created a departmental brand and internal corporate identity and logo that restored credibility by bolstering quality, thought leadership, client services, and staff utilization with tracking measures.
to October 1995
Ernst & Young
to January 1994
- Chair - NW Atlanta - Penn Alumni Interviewing Program
- Baseball - inducted into Penn Baseball Hall of Fame in 2008
- Soccer - inducted into Hightstown High School Athletic Hall of Fame in 2012
- TED - Ideas Worth Spreading
- El Sistema - Music for Social Change
- Interactive Entertainment
- Japanese culture (proficient in Japanese)
- Detailed CV available on request
- Game-based learning
- Blended Learning
- Innovation Ecosystem
cultural awareness and sensitivity
international business development
corporate and business development
financial reporting, planning & analysis
market assessment, competitive analysis
nonprofit management, board governance
Event Planning & Execution